Friday, July 28, 2023

Kindness as intelligence

J.B. Pritzker, governor of Illinois, in a commencement address at Northwestern University, June 12, 2023:

The best way to spot an idiot? Look for the person who is cruel. Let me explain. When we see someone who doesn’t look like us or sound like us, or act like us or love like us or live like us, the first thought that crosses almost everyone’s brain is rooted in either fear or judgment or both. That’s evolution. We survived as a species by being suspicious of things that we aren’t familiar with.

In order to be kind, we have to shut down that animal instinct and force our brain to travel a different pathway. Empathy and compassion are evolved states of being. They require the mental capacity to step past our most primal urges. This may be a surprising assessment, because somewhere along the way in the last few years, our society has come to believe that weaponized cruelty is part of some well-thought-out master plan. Cruelty is seen by some as an adroit cudgel to to gain power. Empathy and kindness are considered weak. Many important people look at the vulnerable only as rungs on a ladder to the top.

I’m here to tell you that when someone’s path through this world is marked with acts of cruelty, they have failed the first test of an advanced society. They never forced their animal brain to evolve past its first instinct. They never forged new mental pathways to overcome their own instinctual fears. And so, their thinking and problem-solving will lack the imagination and creativity that the kindest people have in spades.

Over my many years in politics and business, I have found one thing to be universally true: the kindest person in the room is often the smartest.
I’m not sure why I’m finding out about this address more than a month after the fact, via Daring Fireball. But there it is (my transcription). You can find the clip at YouTube.

comments: 2

Sean Crawford said...

I like how you quoted a politician, despite the common scenario of hating politicians. We forget that such people come from numerous card-carrying party members, the salt of the earth.

I think it's easier for individuals to make money, while avoiding public criticism, in business or something.

I've never joined a police party, not even while I was an idealistic university student, but it was during my student years, as a volunteer reporter for the campus newspaper, that I met a few politicians, and found them credible, likeable people.

Meanwhile, millionaire computer expert and web-essayist Paul Graham did a piece on how in Silicon Valley it pays to be nice.

Michael Leddy said...

Speaking from inside Illinois, I can say that Pritzker has made a great effort to get our state back on track after the catastrophe of our previous governor, Bruce Rauner. I hope that Pritzker tries to live by what he’s saying here.

I think my favorite Illinois politician is the late Paul Simon, even if he wouldn’t kiss our baby daughter at the university radio station many years ago. He smiled instead.