Thursday, April 20, 2023

The stuff bots are made of

The Washington Post analyzed Google’s C4 data set, “a massive snapshot of the contents of 15 million websites that have been used to instruct some high-profile English-language AIs.” The data set includes half a million blogs. It’s not known whether the AIs include ChatGPT.

The Post article includes a search box. So I had to look:


Good grief.

Related reading
All OCA ChatGPT posts

[As the Post notes, “OpenAI does not disclose what datasets it uses to train the models backing its popular chatbot, ChatGPT.” That’s a gift link: free for all to read.]

comments: 11

shallnot said...

Perhaps asking the ‘bot to create a Saturday Stumper is on order?

J D Lowe said...

0 for my blog. I don't know if I should be relieved or insulted :-)

Michael Leddy said...

I shudder to think what some of the clues and comments might yield.

Is it possible to be both relieved and insulted? I think that’d be my reaction.

Matt Thomas said...

I’m reminded of Groucho Marx’s “I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members” line.

Fresca said...

I want to see your blog as a Klassic Komic!

Michael Leddy said...

It would have to have many, many panels. (As would yours, too.)

Dan said...

Thanks for the link to this article. I see they scraped my personal website. But I have total trust in Big Tech, and I'm sure they're going to compensate me for using my copyright-protected material in their for-profit business. I heart Big Tech.

Michael Leddy said...

It’s pretty galling, isn’t it? And they also make use of sites that absolutely defy copyrights.

Fresca said...

Oh my goodness—I check, and there’s my blog.
How very bizarre.
Once again I am made aware we are living in a sci-fi world.
Thanks for the link.

J D Lowe said...

Well, I tried the tool again and my blog now shows up, but luckily it's at the back of the class in the cloakroom with a ranking of 5,894,945.

Michael Leddy said...

It’ll be interesting and creepy to see what it can say about space hoppers and Mr. Moore.