Saturday, April 15, 2023

Some rocks in our heads

From The New York Times (gift link): “Virginia Fifth Grader Is Celebrated for Spotting Textbook’s Error.” Liam Squires noticed that igneous rock and sedimentary rock were out of place in a diagram of the rock cycle. The publisher acknowledged the mistake. The Times quotes Serena Porter, Liam’s teacher:

“We’re all human, and whether it’s an adult or a child, we all make mistakes,” Ms. Porter said. “You don’t want to roll around pointing out everyone’s little mistakes, but you should be proud that you caught something like this.”
Liam received buttons, sticker, and a handwritten letter from the publisher.

Here, from the the University of California Museum of Paleontology, is an explanation of the rock cycle. This post is for my children, who knew, and, I trust, still know their igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks.

comments: 2

ksh said...

Your post reminds me that I was privileged to take a geology course with Glenn W. Frank. Take a moment to read about him at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_W._Frank
I’ll never forget his words to us on the last day of class.

“If you ever are angry enough to pick up a rock and strike someone with it, I hope that you will first stop and attempt to identify it, and in that moment of confusion that I know you will have (don’t forget that I graded your exams) you will forget what you were so angry about and put the rock down.”

Michael Leddy said...

Wow — a man of real courage and goodness.