Saturday, April 8, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Matthew Sewell. It’s a tough one, and after missing the last two Stumpers by a square, I am inordinately self-satisfied to have gotten all the squares of this puzzle. I began with 6-D, three letters, “Choice word”; 8-D, three letters, “Title from Turkish for ‘lord’; and 14-A, ten letters, “Storming.” The northwest fell quickly; other parts of the puzzle fell more slowly; and the southwest for a long time seemed impossible to crack. 32-D, nine letters, “Querulous quote from Christie.” Agatha? Anna? Chris? Brinkley? I got it, but I had to look it up to understand.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

12-D, nine letters, “Origamist’s purchase.” I learned somepin.

13-D, eight letters, “Pilot products.” A pretty arcane way to clue this answer. But I can think of more arcane.

15-D, eight letters, “Offering from GM’s Cruise.” Never heard of it.

17-A, ten letters, “Crimefighter who's really put together.” LTCOLUMBO comes up short.

26-D, seven letters, “Small fry.” Cute. And nothing to do with the Hoagy Carmichael–Frank Loesser song.

36-A, fifteen letters, “Study of capitalistic crises.” Whoa.

49-D, five letters, “It’s meant to be mixed up.” Only mildly confounding.

52-A, six letters, “Nautically named warehouse carts.” I still remember gondola from my housewares-department days.

54-A, six letters, “App store.” Stumper-y distortion — not a store to my mind.

62-A, ten letters, “Prudent antivirus setting.” Also prudent for security updates. But not prudent for system updates.

My favorite in this puzzle: 63-A, four letters, “Work (out).” I’ve loved the word ever since Betty Aberlin used it in a comment on an OCA post about a Mister Rogers opera. Lady Aberlin!

The answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

OPT. AGA. ONARAMPAGE. SACREBLEU. (Hercule Poirot says it.)

ONIONSKIN. PENCASES. (A more arcane clue: “Pelikan pouches.”)

ROBOTAXI. LEGOBATMAN. MINNOWS. MARXISTANALYSIS. TENAM.

UBOATS. EATERY. AUTOUPDATE. SUSS.

shallnot said...

If you like Pelikan pouches you might like “Mont Blanc caches”.

Caches? Look, I’ve done what irritates me most about modern crossword clue settings: using the tenuous 12th definition of a word (OK, maybe 3rd or 4th). Or using a definition not really related such as using querulous for the SACREBLEU clue: Poirot might use SB in astonishment or disbelief but not as a petulant, whining complaint.

Michael Leddy said...

Pelicans do at least have pouches.

All my detectives exclaim in hardboiled English, so I can’t comment on Poirot.