Thursday, April 13, 2023

“All-In”

A look at the conditions of teaching and striking at a regional university in Illinois: “All-In.” It’s a point of view, of course, but it’s one that grounded in fact.

Our household is supporting the strike by picketing and by contributing to a fund to help strikers in need. And I’m now able to add the noise of my Metropolitan Police Whistle to the picket-line din. (It took me three days to find it.)

5:48 p.m.: The strike has been suspended.

[When I began keeping a blog in 2004, I made a decision never to mention my university by name. I wanted to keep this work separate. And now I’m retired, and I still do.]

comments: 4

Anonymous said...

while not quite the strike, today the AAUP released the findings about the firings at emporia state: how's this for the title: Investigation: Emporia State, Kan. Board of Regents members ‘unfit to lead.'

and the article: https://littleapplepost.com/posts/4e11a8d3-c3c6-4e39-ad89-8bee72a00f0c

"The university subsequently reinvested in new programs, handed out secret “performance bonuses,” offered to rehire fired professors as adjuncts, and is looking to hire new professors with the same qualifications as ones who were fired."

"The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences was moved into the new School of Science & Mathematics, prompting some professors to joke that they now teach “S&M.”"

a former president asked for their donation back as the department disappeared.

kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Wow.

I savored this line from Ken Hush’s official bio: “He is a proud father of daughter Rachael, son-in-law Pat, two granddaughters, and daughter, Gillian all residing in Michigan.” An interesting family situation.

On a more serious note: I suspect that sweeping changes are in the offing for my university. The incoming president has a plan, he says, to increase enrollment by 30%. I strongly suspect (with no hard evidence, at least not yet) that the plan is to develop three-year programs, gutting general education in the process and rendering some faculty expendable. I’m waiting and watching.

Michael Leddy said...

And thanks for sharing the Emporia story here, Kirsten. It left me too appalled to even remember to say thanks in my comment.

Michael Leddy said...

Emporia is once again in The Chronicle of Higher Education: “Emporia State Violated Key Principles in Firing 30 Professors, AAUP Says.”