Thursday, April 13, 2023

E.g. , i.e. , etc.

The Chicago Manual of Style explains their use.

comments: 5

Joe DiBiase said...

Sheesh, Michael - you forgot a period after the g in e.g., in the title. ;-)

Daughter Number Three said...

It was only recently that I saw someone (on social media, of course) use e.g. at the beginning of a sentence. If I remember correctly, they also used it without periods and capitalized both letters, so I had a moment of not recognizing what it was supposed to be, but in the context it was clearly supposed to mean "for example."

Michael Leddy said...

Yikes! Thanks for catching it, Joe. There was a period there that I must have accidentally deleted when I added the italics and the thin spaces to give the commas a little breathing room. It’s a good thing this post is still in beta.

Pat, did they put a space between the letters? E G? Or EG?

Daughter Number Three said...

No space, if I remember correctly.

Michael Leddy said...

That’s pretty bold.