Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Goodbye to car words

I am a careful and courteous driver. But in many years at the wheel I’ve on occasion let fly with the choicest words about the care and courtesy of other drivers. The only problem: the person sitting shotgun has had to hear those words. And as she’s pointed out, more than once, other drivers don’t get to hear them. Only she does. And while cursing is supposed to be good for the curser’s health, it may not be so great for a listener.

So I’ve sworn (pun intended) off car words. The words that have replaced them: “What an inconsiderate driver.” That sounds like a plot point from a Seinfeld episode, but I say the words straightforwardly — and I mean them. Say them with me: “Did you see that guy? What an inconsiderate driver.”

comments: 4

Frex said...

I like it!
I just saw a clip of a rapper (famous, but I forgot his name already)on a late night talk show--the host (ditto) asked the guest to say "lavender body was makes my skin glow" as angrily as he could.

The words sounded deadly, the way the rapper delivered them.

A while ago I decided not to swear at work--I felt I was just adding ugliness to ugly situation.
Now I (try to remember to yell) "jellied eels" instead---I got the phrase from the colorful expressions of Captain Haddock in Tintin.

--Frex = Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

That (the body wash) is hilarious.

But are you sure that “jellied eels” isn’t a minced oath? It’s the j that makes me wonder.

Now I’m wondering if watching Succession has something to do with my giving up car words.

Frex said...

Hm.... I looked up "jellied eels" as slang and only found it as rhyming slang for "wheels", and hence, a vehicle.

"I have given up swearing in my jellied eel."

(Also, Jellied eels make my skin glow?)
But, OMG, they looks so disgusting!

I haven't seen Succession --is there a lot of bad behavior in cars?

Michael Leddy said...

Oh — rhyming slang. I must be too sensitive. : )

No particularly bad behavior in cars in Succession, but there’s a lot of cursing, in and out of cars. Here’s a sample.