Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The passionate surfer

Watching A Grammy Salute to the Beach Boys this past weekend (of which the less said the better), I put one and one together.

From Christopher Marlowe’s “The Passionate Shepherd to His Love”:

And we will sit upon the Rocks,
Seeing the Shepherds feed their flocks
By shallow Rivers, to whose falls
Melodious birds sing Madrigals.
From Brian Wilson’s “Surfer Girl”:
We could ride the surf together
While our love would grow.
In my woodie I would take you
Everywhere I go.
Granted, one present a life of immobile spectation, the other a life of constant movement. But in each case, it’s a pastoral dream of a life of leisure by water.

Related reading
All OCA Beach Boys posts (Pinboard)

[Woodie: a kind of car.]

comments: 6

Anonymous said...

far-out

https://tessa2.lapl.org/digital/collection/photos/id/51099

Michael Leddy said...

That’s one boss set of wheels.

J D Lowe said...

From deep in my 'Useless Knowledge' file: The Surf Woodie was so famous it was made into a 1/25 scale plastic model car kit by AMT in the 1960s:

http://www.showrods.com/gallery_pages/surf_woody1.html

Anonymous said...

woody bookmobile

https://digital.hagley.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A2614302

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for the links, fellows.

They made me remember “Surf City”: “I got a ’34 wagon and I call it a woodie.” I would have sworn that the Beach Boys first album had a woodie on the cover, but no, it’s an old truck.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for the links, fellows.

They made me remember “Surf City”: “I got a ’34 wagon and I call it a woodie.” I would have sworn that the Beach Boys first album had a woodie on the cover, but no, it’s an old truck.