Saturday, May 21, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Stan Newman, composing as “S.N.,” as in “iSN’t easy.” Today’s puzzle is one of the most difficult Stumpers I’ve seen. I started last night with 11-A, four letters, “Does one’s part” and 14-D, nine letters, “‘Home on the Range,’ e.g.” Half an hour later, I gave up with the puzzle half complete. When I started again this morning, I suddenly saw the right answer for 24-D, eight letters, “On which numbers are written.” And that gave me four other answers, and fifteen minutes later, I was done.

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

1-D, five letters, “The way of the world.” Even with the last three letters, it’s hard to see.

3-D, five letters, “Easy going.” You need to notice that it’s two words.

9-D, nine letters, “Advances in elevation.” A tough one.

12-D, nine letters, “Gorbachev predecessor.” Yes, that name is hard to pull up. (Unlike Gorbachev’s.)

13-D, “It’s in the bag.” Nifty.

20-A, six letters, “Repository of Lost Legends site.” I thought it had something to do with gamers.

30-A, eight letters, “Carry-ons regulated by the FAA.” Deceptive? Not deceptive? Deceptive.

32-D, nine letters, “One use for a horsehair.” I knew it, I knew it.

34-D, nine letters, “Of hiking, biking, etc.” I wanted OUTDOORSY.

42-A, seven letters, “It may suit you.” A fine clue for an out-of-the-way word.

47-D, six letters, “Denounce.” The answer came to me after I closed my MacBook last night.

53-A, five letters, “Something to rest on or reel in.” Funny to think of these two possibilities together.

56-D, five letters, “It’s slashed for all.” I understand the intent, but I don’t think the answer fits “all.”

58-A, six letters, “Top with a joke, say.” OUTWIT? No.

59-D, four letters, “Doctor’s order.” I can think of at least four plausible wrong answers.

67-A, ten letters, “Suitable for Champion magazine?” Perhaps in name only? But even if you don’t quibble about that, the answer doesn’t quite fit the clue. One of two clues about this magazine. It would have helped if I had heard of it.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

ACTS. STATESONG. (Kansas.) MATHTEST (Not DATATEST.)

ORBIT. (Not HABIT.) AMBLE. LEAPFROGS. CHERNENKO.

TOGOORDER. SNOPES. EREADERS. BOWSTRING. GERUNDIAL.

WORSTED. RAILAT. PERCH. HESHE. TSHIRT. SCAN.

AMATEURISH. (66-A, “Champion magazine publisher”: NCAA.)

Elaine said...

A rare occurence....I got the whole Stumper with no help. Must have been an easy one.

Michael Leddy said...

Huzzah! (But it took me forty-five minutes.)

joecab said...

20 mins for me this week. But last week ... Y I K E S. After an hour, barely a third full. Took many returns to knock that one out.

Michael Leddy said...

Yep, this one was brutal. You did much better than I did with this week’s (about thirty-eight minutes for me).