Sunday, October 24, 2021

Chock full o’Nuts in Brooklyn

[519 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, c. 1939–1941. Click for a larger view of the many details, including the plucky luncheonette next door.]

The 1940 Brooklyn telephone directory lists two Chock full o’Nuts locations. This is the one for which there’s a tax photograph.

The strange part: when I was a kid and our family went shopping on weekends, we’d get lunch from Chock full o’Nuts. Abraham & Straus, a department store of the day, stood at 422 Fulton Street. We may have been getting lunch from this Chock. As I remember it, we’d eat in the car. It was no doubt impossible to find four open stools in a row on a Saturday.

Abraham & Straus was subsumed by Macy’s in 1995. Everything changes.

Thanks to Joe DiBiase for catching my mistake with the address and putting the location of this Chock full o’Nuts — 519 Fulton, not 159 — back on the map.

*

An informed reader informs me that in the 1970s there were two Chock full o’Nuts outlets on Fulton Street, at 451 and 538. Here from the blog Then and Now is a post with a photograph of 451 (now a pawnshop). Note also in the post the addresses of present-day Chock Cafés in Brooklyn: 1510 Avenue J and 1611 Avenue M. It appears that only the Avenue M outlet is still going.

Thanks, Brian.

Related reading
All OCA Chock full o’Nuts posts (Pinboard)

comments: 12

Joe DiBiase said...

I think you've transposed the first two digits of the address from the 1940 phone directory. Looks to me as though it should be 519 Fulton Street, not 159. Here's the Google Maps Street View, which looks like the tax photo ... https://goo.gl/maps/z2E7Vurt8JfHPN9EA

Michael Leddy said...

That’s exactly what I did. Thank you, Joe, for catching it. The absence of the location was really puzzling, because I thought I had seen the building in Google Maps, and then I thought that it must have been another Chock full o’Nuts, or a candy store. I’ve revised the post to fix things.

Joe DiBiase said...

And since this is about Chock full o'Nuts ... I'm bothered by the capitalization in the name, Chock full o'Nuts. It seems to me it should be Chock Full o'Nuts. I'd even be OK with Chock-full o'Nuts. I understand it's a trade name, not a title, but the rules for capitalization of a title seem appropriate. I feel better having gotten that off my chest.

Michael Leddy said...

: )

Anonymous said...

can almost hear the pea soup gurgling

Michael Leddy said...

Here, have a whole-wheat donut to settle your stomach. : )

Anonymous said...

here's another view

https://www.bklynlibrary.org/digitalcollections/item/dc0e7f66-20d1-49cb-b374-7a960522b543

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a nice sharp photo.

Strange to think that a child of the ’60s was closer to that 1947 scene than a ’60s childhood is to us.

Anonymous said...

in boston too???

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:wp98c364c

Michael Leddy said...

As far as I know, they were never beyond New York. Maybe the photograph is misidentified. Or I could be wrong.

Anonymous said...

did some research, the photographer worked in mass only, and here is another picture, in Boston!

https://dl.tufts.edu/imageviewer/ww72bm802#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&xywh=-146%2C-1%2C790%2C331

Michael Leddy said...

A real discovery — I think they’re always thought of as NY-centric.