Friday, October 8, 2021

Less than, fewer than

Lester Holt on NBC Nightly News tonight:

“. . . less than [?] jobs added, far fewer than expected . . .”
I wasn’t fast enough to get the number (200,000?), but you get the idea. I can imagine a writer wondering, “Should it be less than? Fewer than? I know: I’ll try both!”

But there’s nothing wrong with repeating fewer here.

comments: 4

Joe DiBiase said...

I've always tried to follow the rule that fewer is for count nouns and less is for mass nouns. But then, there's this rule, which I've never heard of ... https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/opinion/tn-dpt-me-1003-casagrande-20131001-story.html

Michael Leddy said...

Garner’s Modern English Usage has great discussions of these words. Casagrande is more or less following Garner when she describes the “strictest” guidelines. One point from Garner: “fewer people” is seven times more common in books than “less people.” He also notes that “one fewer” is unidiomatic (his example, from the Dionne Warwick hit: “one less bell to answer.”

Sometimes “less” makes sense, when a count noun names a whole: “I finished the job in less than six weeks.” “It cost less than five dollars.”

In the sentence Casagrande discusses, I’d go for “fewer than 600.” I think the number implies “people.” I think Garner has the better grasp of things here.

Geo-B said...

The "less-fewer" discussion was a common theme/joke/motif in Game of Thrones. https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/07/game-of-thrones-davoss-grammar-fix-is-the-best-recurring-joke

Michael Leddy said...

I had no idea — that’s great.

In Infinite Jest, the Militant Grammarians of Massachusetts campaign to change “10 Items or Less” signs in supermarkets.