Saturday, October 16, 2021

National Dictionary Day

In case you hadn’t noticed: it’s National Dictionary Day. Here to celebrate are some pages from an unusual item available at archive.org, a salesperson’s 1937 demonstration model of Webster’s New International Dictionary, second edition, aka Webster’s Second or W2.

The comments at archive.org are cranky: “random pages,” “of little or no value.” What the commenters fail to understand is that this item isn’t the dictionary but a tool with which to sell the dictionary. Thus, promotional pages, front matter, color plates, sample pages of entries, an advertisement for dictionary stands, and endorsements. “Here for the seeker are many evenings of word orgies,” promises O. O. McIntyre, newspaper columnist.

Click on any image for a much larger view. And don’t miss the weigh-in.


Dictionaries are in the news today: Madeline Kripke’s dictionary collection will have a new home in Indiana University’s Lilly Library.

Related reading
All OCA dictionary posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

The Crow said...

I used to be a voracious reader, beginning in first grade. I loved stories and picture books but my absolute favorite reading materials were dictionaries and encyclopedia, the Little Golden series of nature books and the many field guides.

I haven't read much in the last couple of decades; kept thinking I would pick it (reading) up again when I retired and had free time. I pictured myself in my small cottage, sitting in front of my expansive bookshelves, cozied up with a stack of books near the fireplace, lost in a world of words and images. One whole set of shelves would hold all the National Geographic magazines I've collected, waiting to be read again and again.

There is no small cottage, no expansive bookshelves and only a medium-sized box of NatGeos. As for free time...well, there isn't as much of that anymore, free or otherwise.

Thanks for that nudge down memory lane and the reminders of dreams of my future.

Michael Leddy said...

For me it was the World Book Encyclopedia and the How and Why series.

I remember when I was a kid reading something about Jack London buying a bag of candy and just sitting in his bunk (?) eating candy and reading. On a boat, maybe. I always thought it would great to just sit and read like that. Life gets in the way. But I hope you find more reading ahead.