Saturday, October 30, 2021

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday crossword is by Stan Newman. It’s an easy puzzle by Stumper standards. I found my way with two toeholds, 23-D, three letters, “Informal ‘exceedingly’” and 29-A, three letters, “Petition.” And I was off.

Some clue-and-answer pairs I liked:

3-D, eight letters, “Ducks glide there.” Is it okay to call this clue cute?

9-A, five letters, “Breaks into a vault.” The kind of clue that doing crosswords teaches you to understand.

10-D, seven letters, “Canine coats.” See 9-A.

17-A, nine letters, “Pancake purveyors.” Feels very ‘80s to me. But I still like it.

30-D, nine letters, “Étude embellishment.” Three in a row. (Alliterative clues, that is.)

45-A, nine letters, “Heating system component.” Takes me back to earlier abodes.

52-A, nine letters, “Navigational hobbyist.” I didn’t know about this hobby.

53-A, five letters, “Earliest-born Poker Hall of Famer.” I’m out.

If you, too, are having difficulty with the Newsday paywall, you can access the Stumper at GameLab. And if Newsday is listening: please consider offering a crossword subscription. The Stumper has a national audience, and you cannot expect non-Long Islanders to pay $363 a year for a crossword.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

WAY. (Way cool!) ASK. ICERINKS. LEAPS.

ENAMELS. CREPERIES. (The Magic Pan, anyone?) GRACENOTE.

STEAMPIPE. ORIENTEER. HOYLE.

Wikipedia: “Because of his contributions to gaming, [Edmond] Hoyle was a charter inductee into the Poker Hall of Fame in 1979, even though he died 60 years before poker was invented.”

Elaine said...

How did you access the puzzle? Subscription to Newsday?

Michael Leddy said...

I put a link in the post in the next-to-last paragraph — GameLab. You can find the Newsday puzzle elsewhere too — Saturday’s Crossword Fiend post has links in the comments.

With GameLab, you have to disable any ad-blocker and sit through an ad to get the puzzle. I’m not sure about the other sites.