Thursday, October 14, 2021

A notebook and a pencil

When Gary Paulsen was a teenager, a librarian gave him a library card, then a book a month, then a book a week, and then a Scripto notebook and a no. 2 pencil:

“She said, you should write down some of your thought pictures, which I called them, you know. I said, who — for who? And she said, me. None of this would have happened except for that.”
Gary Paulsen died earlier this week. NPR has an obituary: “Beloved children’s author and wilderness enthusiast Gary Paulsen has died at 82.” And here is the conversation I’ve quoted from.

I’d never heard of Paulsen before today. Now two copies of Hatchet are on the way to our house.

Thanks, Ben.

comments: 2

Daughter Number Three said...

In all my reading of juvenile fiction, I never read Gary Paulsen, probably partly because he started publishing when I was in graduate school... though that didn't stop me with some other authors. I think some of it was because I perceived him as being for boys (I know, terrible of me) and some was because I didn't like the initial cover of Hatchet or Dogsong. Yes, I know, this is shallow. I am regretting it. I will read him. I'm sorry.

Michael Leddy said...

Let’s compare notes. Elaine and I are going to read Hatchet after we finish The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.