Saturday, October 27, 2018

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Greg Johnson, is challenging. For me, thirty-three minutes worth of challenging. The clue that helped me find my way: 47-Down, six letters, “It’s served in Elvis’ ‘Blue Hawaii.’” I had one letter, a vowel, took a guess, and had the answer that broke the puzzle open.

Three clues in especially liked: 14-Across, four letters: “California Perfume Company, today.” (I learned something.) 15-Across, five letters, “Hammer home.” And 61-Down, three letters, “What one might hang in the street.” I think the pronoun in that last clue is well chosen. No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

MAITAI. AVON. PIANO. UEY.

The Crow said...

The only one I got without resorting to the comment section was Avon. Many years ago, I worked briefly as an "Avon Lady" and learned some company history in the process.

The others, hadn't a clue. No pun intended.

Michael Leddy said...

Out of context these clues are even more puzzling. “Hammer” had me stuck — I wasn’t thinking of a noun at first, and when I did think about the noun, I wasn’t thinking about a different kind of hammer. But then I got the P, and that made the answer click. The MTWRF Newsday puzzles are much more straightforward.