Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Hot-dog stands and poetry


Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita (1955).

Elaine and I just finished re-reading Lolita. As we discovered, we each marked this passage while reading. Elaine has already posted her transcription on her blog.

Humbert Humbert’s observations (and the first-person plural pronoun) remind me of what Proust’s narrator says about the “contrast between the way individuals change and the fixity of memory.” More than coincidence, I think.

Related reading
All OCA Nabokov posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

misterbagman said...

Welp, now I'll have to revisit "Lolita" and refresh my memory of the bracingly caustic wit and the delicately framed observances I found so enjoyable in that book. Thank you.

Michael Leddy said...

And thank you for welp, which I now know is a word and not a typo. Esp. interesting to read the novel in these times.