Friday, October 19, 2018

Hand wash cold

From Smithsonian: “If Americans turned down the heat when washing their hands they could save 6 million metric tons of CO2 every year.”

Even if the numbers here are subject to questioning (hot water isn’t always available in public bathrooms to begin with), washing one’s hands with cold water would seem to make good sense. Done. Though I already do it anyway. Who wants to wait for hot water?

[Found via Matt Thomas’s Twitter.]

comments: 5

Matt Thomas said...

I say split the difference and use warm (or warm-ish) water. Thanks for the shout out.

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome, Matt.

Now they should look at letting the water run while brushing teeth and shaving.

Frex said...

Oh, wow--I was taught hot water is more effective at killing germs, but it turns out that's not true---cold is just as good!
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-40118539

Slywy said...

In my building, hot water is pretty immediate. I have to say one of the simple joys I have had since moving here is warm water for hand and face washing. My first studio had separate taps for cold and hot water, which mean you could wash with very cold or very hot water, with no in between. It felt like a luxury not to freeze my hands every day.

Michael Leddy said...

Thinking about this topic is making me want to wash my hands with pleasantly warm water. But I’m keeping in mind what the BBC and Smithsonian are reporting.

I remember separate taps from an old apartment — put hands under one, then the other, back and forth to get a blend of hot and cold.