Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Complete sentences

From The Washington Post: “James ‘Whitey’ Bulger, whose bloody reign in the Boston underworld was aided by crooked FBI agents in the 1980s and who later went on the lam for 16 years, living incognito by the California seashore, was found dead this morning while completing the first of his two life sentences.”

Sounds to me like he just completed both sentences. I can’t decide if the Post is being witty or not. Whatcha think?

More Washington Post sentences
Antecedent trouble : Parallelism trouble

comments: 4

Anonymous said...

You know things are off when one reads the part of the sentence "completing the first of his two life sentences" as "completing the first of his two sentences." At first glance, I thought how odd he died after completing a sentence (the spoken kind!).

I was surprised to hear about it but I'm with you -- I can't decide if they are being witty or not.

I didn't realize that he was being transferred to West Virginia and why that prison.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

Me neither. And I learned only later,from NPR, that he was murdered.

Chris said...

He must be relieved to have at least gotten one of them under his belt.

Michael Leddy said...

It’d be terrible to have ended up with a sentence fragment.