Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sardines and capellini

A first rule of blogging: no one cares what you had for lunch. I think it’s pretty clear that the rule’s creator was not a sardinista.

Inspired by Crow’s sardine saga and Chris’s account of sardines and linguini, I tried putting sardines and capellini (angel hair) together for lunch. I started the pasta, smashed and chopped two cloves of garlic, let them brown (just slightly) in olive oil, and added a can of skinless and boneless sardines in olive oil, chopped parsley, and red-pepper flakes. The sardines smelled pretty funky in the hot oil. But the dish was a delight: far more flavorful than pasta with tuna and lemon, and sweeter than good old aglio e olio (which I make with anchovies). Parmesan and black pepper: nice additions, but hardly necessary.

I will be making sardines and capellini again soon, even if no one cares.

Related reading
All OCA sardines posts (Pinboard)

[I am happy and sad to see that sardinista already has some currency. I made it up all by myself, but too late.]

comments: 7

Marzek said...

Yep, sardines can be a bit 'fragrant,' but SO worth it. (I wonder if your cooking them mellowed out some of the fishiness; when I make that Korean side dish w/ dried anchovies, you toast them in the skillet a little to drive off the fishiness).
I gussied up the sardine salad this week: bed of arugula, some orange slices (blood oranges!), bit of red onion, and sardines. I *could* be bothered to make a proper vinaigrette, but a little olive oil, red & balsamic vinegars, sea salt & pepper sprinkles do fine. Seems to be a good balance of flavors.
THANKS for the sardine posts. I discovered OCA through a post on pencils, and while your blog offers some geat inspirations (Tension? Must see! Mary Norris book? Prolly will read) -- the sardine posts invariably lead to lunch or dinner. Or snack.
Sardinista, yes!

The Crow said...

Well, it was new to me, so as far as I'm concerned, your are the inventor of the word.

Cool article of those other guys, though.

I like the sound of your sardines and capellini, too, and will try it this weekend.

Michael Leddy said...

I think the cooking did take out some fishiness. (Autocorrect wants that to be fishnets.)

I am happy to see this sardine spree turning into so much fun.

The Crow said...

About those dried sardines: my mother soaked them for at least 4 hours, changing the water every hour, then gave them a final rinse before poaching. I imagine they would have been lethal with all that salt.

I awoke this morning from a dream in which I was pulling a sardine pie from the oven - sardines, mushrooms, leeks and thinly sliced potatoes in a cream broth. Fresh sardines. Phyllo crust.

Yep, no doubt about it – I have to get a life.

Michael Leddy said...

That pie sounds strangely plausible.

I can’t say I’ve dreamed about sardines — yet.

Unknown said...

While visiting Great Britain I remember seeing seafood pies made with the heads of sardines, or perhaps they were herrings, peeking out around the rim of the upper pastry. The whole production looked a bit like a crown. I've often regretted that I hadn't the courage to try one, but the fish looking back at me was a little disconcerting.

I can't recall if it was in Cornwall or Wales, nor what they were called.

Michael Leddy said...

I tried searching for sardine pie and found a recipe and photo for stargazy pie. I’m guessing that’s what you saw (and what saw you).

I will leave this pie to a more courageous sardinista.