Tuesday, March 24, 2015

From a title page


[From the title page of Edward N. Teall’s Meet Mr. Hyphen (And Put Him in His Place) (New York: Funk & Wagnalls, 1937). Actual size 9/16″ × 9/16″.]

If this image was ever a Funk & Wagnalls trademark, the details seem to be well-hidden. I liked the image enough to scan it and make it more readable, though I’m still not sure what it says. Is the kneeling figure working with a book and a globe?

Also from Mr. Hyphen
Living on hyphens

comments: 3

Geo-B said...

I thought she was setting a clock. Why she would be doing it in a helmet, or a mask tucked up, I don't know.

Gunther said...

I think the figure is lighting a lamp; the circle may represent the light.

Michael Leddy said...

Gunther, I think that’s it. It looks like an oil lamp, a “genie lamp.” You’ve solved the mystery, at least to my satisfaction. :)