Saturday, June 22, 2024

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by Stella Zawistowski. Boy, it is ever. I made quick work of the northeast corner, beginning with 10-A, four letters, “Four-year-old program” and 13-D, four letters, “They have all the answers.” I made much longer work of the rest of the puzzle. Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

10-D, eleven letters, “Closely held.” Getting this answer early on helped a lot.

14-A, ten letters, “Filler of notebooks now stored in lead-lined boxes.” A giveaway? I’m not sure.

15-D, five letters, “Sat (for).” The parentheses make it a bit tricky.

21-A, five letters, “Pretty good.” I’d say more than “pretty good.”

21-D, twelve letters, “Where dogs are often led around.” I think I understand this clue.

22-A, eleven letters, “Profitless pursuit.” I am glad that this puzzle wasn’t one.

27-A, five letters, “Postal Service metallic concern.” True, to my surprise.

33-A, nine letters, “What bows show.” Such an unusual word to see in a puzzle.

37-A, nine letters, “Early retirement vehicles.” An out-of-the-way answer, I’d say.

42-A, three letters, “Tadpole-shaped small things.” A wildly inventive clue.

54-A, ten letters, “Effortlessly.” An unusual answer.

57-A, ten letters, “Furniture store adjective.” An unusual way to clue the word.

My favorite in this puzzle: 40-A, eight letters, “Breakup music?”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 2

Michael Leddy said...

PREK. KEYS. PROPRIETARY. MARIECURIE. CARED. (I.e., babysat.)

BPLUS. (In 2010, a New York Times puzzle clued AMINUS as “Pretty good grade.”)

BAGGAGECLAIM. (Am I right to think of one’s feet moving around and around as the bags appear?) FOOLSERRAND.

CLASP. (“Unusually shaped mail, like square or vertical envelopes, lumpy envelopes, rigid envelopes, and mail with clasps, string, or buttons, must be hand-canceled. They are charged a nonmachinable surcharge even if they weigh less than 1 oz.”) OBEISANCE. BASSINETS. RHOS. (Blogger won’t let me add Greek letters here.)

ONAPLATTER. OCCASIONAL. ARPEGGIO.

Michael Leddy said...

As pannonica explains at Crossword Fiend, dogs (canines, not feet) are led around baggage csniffing for drugs.