Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Travel by plane and book

Italo Calvino, If on a winter’s night a traveler, trans. William Weaver (New York: Harcourt, 1981).

The “you” of this passage is a character in the novel, a reader who is now reading On the carpet of leaves illuminated by the moon by Takakumi Ikoka. That novel is one of ten (imaginary) novels that the reader in/of this novel encounters, each in the form of a few pages.

Postmodern play aside, this passage captures what flying always feels like to me: it’s not being anywhere.

Also from this novel
The formula : Novels and theories : “A fairly precise notion of the book”

[I am not now flying.]

comments: 4

Daughter Number Three said...

It's funny... I read one of Calvino's books while on such a flight once. Kind of a meta experience, I guess. It wasn't this book, though.

Michael Leddy said...

That would've broken the meta speed barrier, or ceiling, or something.

I have been surprised to see multiple copies of this book on shelves in two bookstores recently. It must still sell well.

J D Lowe said...

Just stumbled across this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001qt49

Michael Leddy said...

Oh my! Thanks, Jim.