Thursday, September 14, 2023

My proof that I never knew phonics

I learned to read before kindergarten, picking it up at home. I was one of the fortunate kids who learn to read without formal instruction. In the Brooklyn school of my childhood, we had Dick and Jane books and were taught reading by way of the look-say or whole-word method. But how do I know that I was never taught phonics?

Here’s how. When we moved to a New Jersey suburb at the start of my sixth-grade year, my class had, as a regular feature, an exercise with words and sentences projected on a screen for rapid reading. It must have been an exercise in pronunciation, because I remember frequent references to the schwa. Schwa this. Schwa that. I never knew what schwa meant, and my guess is that I must have felt too embarrassed to ask, “What’s a schwa?” That would’ve been just one more way to look like an outlier. I did, however, know how to pronounce the words we were reading.

These days I understand the importance of phonics in reading instruction. See the podcast series Sold a Story: How Teaching Kids to Read Went So Wrong.

comments: 4

Geo-B said...

I too am one of those who learned to read on my own before kindergarten. But I cannot say "without formal instruction" or without phonics, because my mother was a teacher and there were a lot of teaching reading books lying about. Maybe they used phonics.

Daughter Number Three said...

I never really internallized what a schwa was until the book The Schwa Was Here came out, and Daughter Number-Three-Point was a fan. (She sometimes used the handle Schwa Girl as a teen.)

I know I must have learned the term when I took linguistics classes in college but it didn't sink in as much as it should have.

I learned reading from the see-say method (if that's what it's called)... the Dick and Jane books. I definitely didn't learn before school started: it was some time in 1st grade, with prereading skills like letter knowledge in Kindergarten.

Daughter Number Three said...

(Can't see my comment but I think I spelled "internalized" with two Ls. Oh well.)

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for the recollections, George and Pat. I had to look up that title: it sounds like fun. (I didn’t realize it was a novel.)

I wish it were possible to revise Blogger comments. I’ve sometimes deleted two or three of mine in ann attempt to get something right.