Saturday, September 30, 2023

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper is by the puzzle’s editor Stan Newman, constructing as Lester Ruff — in other words, it’s meant to be an easy Stumper. I think it is an easy one, though at times it felt 16-A, six letters, “Nowhere near clear.”

Some clue-and-answer pairs of note:

3-D, eight letters, “Don’t keep up.” Just surprising to see this verb.

14-D, six letters, “Car named to evoke safety.” I never thought of it that way.

22-A, nine letters, “Cable viewed by an audience.” See 16-A.

28-A, ten letters, “Imperious portmanteau.” Run!

33-A, three letters, “Poet with a star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame.” Easy, but I chose this clue because I didn’t know that St. Louis has a Walk of Fame, much less that poets are eligible. Is WSB in there?

34-A, seven letters, “Query after a holdup.” Pleasant ambiguity.

37-D, eight letters, “Got paid back for.” Such an awkward verb.

47-A, five letters, “Hawkeye’s pal.” I am never cottoning to this fictional world.

55-D, three letters, “2022 Emmy winner for a Beatles docuseries.” The changes in how the name has been clued are noteworthy.

My favorite in this puzzle: 30-D, four letters, “Puzzle pieces.”

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

OPAQUE. STRAGGLE. SENTRA. TIGHTROPE.

BRIDEZILLA. TSE. AMILATE. EXPENSED.

UNCAS. (The James Fenimore Cooper world.)

ONO. (She’s now often clued in her own right, not as “Wife of John Lennon.”)

ZEES.

Elaine said...

I managed to finish this in just one day! I just knew you wd say it was easy!

Michael Leddy said...

Don’t hate me! When I look at Crossword Fiend, I see reviewers who’ve demolished these puzzles in just a few minutes.