Friday, September 22, 2023

Google to delete inactive accounts

I now see that I received the e-mail about a change in Google policy in July and August — and looked right past it each time. So I’m glad that I follow the Blogger-centric blog Too Clever by Half, which makes the e-mail’s importance clear.

Long story short: if you want your Blogger blog to outlast you, you need to make your, uhh, arrangements.

Here are the Google policy and the announcement. More helpful: Too Clever by Half’s advice about how to keep a Blogger blog online.

comments: 4

Daughter Number Three said...

My main sadness about this is a blog I used to read whose creator died suddenly back in 2012 and no one has ever been able to log into it again. It has great content that deserves to exist as long as the internet does.

This policy means it will eventually be deleted.

Will it be on the Wayback Machine?

Michael Leddy said...

At least some blogs are on the Wayback Machine. Only one way to find out.

You could use an app like SiteSucker (Mac) to download it and then figure out (possibly) how to make it available elsewhere.

I can understand why they’d want to eliminate unused Gmail accounts. But blogs?

Chris said...

So what happens if you schedule an annual dummy post as far into the future as Google will let you? Will that be sufficient "activity" to make Google preserve the blog?

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a good question. I have no idea. Maybe the Too Clever blogger will know.