Saturday, July 10, 2021

Today’s Newsday Saturday

Today’s Newsday  Saturday crossword is by Greg Johnson. Pretty dang easy — it makes me miss the Stumper.

Clue-and-answer pairs I especially like:

1-A, ten letters, “Face covering.” A nice bit of misdirection to start things off.

7-D, three letters, “Name that looks like a number.” Fun to suss out.

9-D, nine letters, “Devoted a whole show to, say.” I like the dowdiness.

17-A, ten letters, “Show watched by Spanish learners.” My first idiosyncratic (and dated) thought: ¿Qué Pasa, USA?

33-D, five letters, “Goddess well-regarded by Athenians.” Nice to know what her name means.

39-D, eight letters, “Archie Comics hangout.” For the characters, I presume, not the artists and writers.

41-A, six letters, “Dolly’s ‘I cannot compete with you’ woman.” Sung by two generations in my fambly.

60-A, ten letters, “Moby-Dick, e.g.” That’s a name, not a title.

66-A, ten letters, “Shaving in the kitchen.” Sounds like a Depression life hack. “The dish of water you set out last night over the stove’s pilot light will now be warm,” &c.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

WATCHGLASS. LIV. SALUTED.

TELENOVELA. (A prolific writer died last week.)

IRENE. MALTSHOP. JOLENE.

SPERMWHALE. POTATOPEEL.

[I accidentally deleted this post and (as something of a completist) am adding the answers again.]