Monday, July 5, 2021

Cartoon chef mansplains mayo

[Life, June 28, 1937. Click for a much larger view.]

“Now I’ll explain, ladies!” But Clara was doing just fine on her own. I like that Jane addresses her and not Mr. Chef: “You’re right, Clara!”

Daughter Number Three’s post of an ad about “sissy-sweet salads” made me think of a Hellmann’s ad about a “he-man ‘chef’s salad,’” which led in turn to this ad. And speaking of salad, or “salad,” look at that delightful plate: lettuce, cheese, cherries, grapes, and a big glob of mayo.

Related posts
Hellmann’s or Best Foods? : Mayonnaise vs. salad dressing

comments: 5

Zhoen said...

While reading a Nero Wolfe story mayonnaise is mentioned as something that must be made at the table, never before and never ever from a (gasp) jar.

So, one day we found a recipe and made some. Took a lot more work than we were prepared for. But... wow, so good, so worth the trouble. I don't agree with the fictional Mr. Wolfe often, but on this point I think he was correct.

I grew up with mayo as a thing - (Hellmans') if not a favorite condiment. It was just moisture on otherwise dry food, like ketchup, and therefore useful.

Daughter Number Three said...

Don't you wonder what that "fresh press" salad oil is pressed from? It's not pressed salad. Were they using rapeseed (now called canola) back then?

Michael Leddy said...

Zhoen, I’m not surprised. I still remember how good butter tastes when made from scratch (kindergarten, everyone shaking the jar).

DN3, I guess it must have been freshly pressed at some point. I don’t know what they used then, but today it’s soybean oil. I am sad to see that Hellmann’s Light has the “starchy fillers” that Mr. Chef warns against.

Zhoen said...

Ha! Got to make our own butter when we visited Greenfield Village as a class. Had a class in the schoolroom there, which was memorable.

Michael Leddy said...

Isn’t it wonderful the way these things stick? Pass the butter, please!