Sunday, July 11, 2021

Goodbye, Hackensack Record King

After fifty-six years, Hackensack Record King is closing. But not for lack of customers.

Thanks to the New Jersey reader who sent the news.

A related post
Shopping on Main Street, Hackensack

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

I love the old record stores when you could use your fingers to flip the records forward and find records you didn't know about, didn't have or now wanted to have.

I used to frequent a similar record store in Clarendon VA which was sold to become a bar.

Photos of the store and owner: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidrosssmith/7541532430/in/photostream/ The owner was Rick with the long gray beard.

Somehow clicking with a mouse to buy is not the same.

Where I live now is a similar store owned by 2 sisters: Sisters of Sound.

And finally, back in the 80's/90's when everyone was dumping lps for cds, I happened to be in LA. So I made the rounds of the used lp stores. I ended up carrying 75 lps back on my flight. The airline wouldn't let me check them so I had to carry them on. Back then you paid a few dollars per lp as no one wanted them.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

The Orpheus layout reminds me so much of The Record Swap (Champaign, IL) and The Relic Rack (Hackensack). The perfect browsing space, unless someone else had the corner of the alphabet you were wanting.

I like the Sisters of Sound guidance: “If the sound is too loud you are probably listening to the WRONG MUSIC!!”