Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Walter Mondale (1928–2021)

The New York Times has a lengthy obituary.

I remember riding in an elevator in 1984 with a clean-cut collegian wearing an orange button on his jacket. In black letters on an orange background: FRITZ IS A WIMP. I think that moment must have been my first awareness of toxic masculinity at work in politics.

*

Here, from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, is a transcript of a Reagan speech from October 1984, with the crowd chanting the words on the button.

comments: 4

Daughter Number Three said...

Oh geez, I forgot about that whole part of that era, and never connected it in my head to the much later term "toxic masculinity."

Michael Leddy said...

It’s helpful to have that name for it now. It made me think of the insults of middle school.

Zhoen said...

Real men are not afraid of being kind.

Michael Leddy said...

Here’s a Twitter thread with one story of his character.