Thursday, April 22, 2021

I am not that guy

Another e-mail arrived for a man of medicine who bears my name. As I wrote in a previous post about “Dr. Michael Leddy,” I’ve received everything from booking information to receipts for garden equipment, all meant for him. Another such e-mail arrived yesterday. I began reading:

You don’t know me, but I work with [name] on [street address]. I’ve been working with him to help bring in more erectile dysfunction and vasectomy patients to his practice.
I wrote back:
I frequently get e-mails for some guy with my name. But I am not that guy. And believe me, no one in his right mind would want me to perform a vasectomy on him, even if I work cheap. And I can’t do a thing for ED. Please remove my name from your mailings.
And then I realized I hadn’t read far enough:
I did some research into your practice and identified a few opportunities to drive in more patients for shoulder replacement to the practice.
Oh. So I wrote back again:
Nix to the shoulders too.
Related posts
Dr. Leddy, practicing : On the honorific “Doctor”

[I too am “Dr. Michael Leddy,” possessor of a doctorate. But as I always told my students, I preferred “Mr. Leddy” — good enough for my dad, good enough for me.]

comments: 7

Fresca said...

You are a treat!

stefan hagemann said...

I keep meaning to ask you about Bobby Leddy, the spokesperson for Michigan's Gov. Whitmer. I know you're not that guy, either. But I'm happy to think of you when I read his name in the paper.

Michael Leddy said...

Fresca, I’m glad this post has brightened things today.

Stefan, I have no connection to him that I know of. But who knows? Leddy is not an especially common name outside of Ireland.

Pete said...

A surgeon who does both vasectomies and shoulder replacements? I might applaud him for being so versatile, but for a vasectomy I’d prefer not to have a “jack of all trades, master of none” wielding the scalpel.

Michael Leddy said...

It’s a weird pitch — the guy pitching says he’s working with a doctor who does vasectomies. But the pitch is to a doctor who does shoulder replacements.

I’m still hoping to hear back.

Zhoen said...

Sounds like spam. Often best to not reply, it just confirms they have a working email/phone#.

Michael Leddy said...

It’s unsolicited, but it’s genuine marketing, from what appears to be a highly aggressive company. If he does write back, he’ll be wasting his time, as I’m adding addresses ending in his dot-com to the spam filters.