Friday, April 30, 2021

More Adalbert Stifter

I’m excited to learn that there will soon be more of Adalbert Stifter’s writing available in English: New York Review Books is publishing Motley Stones, a sequence of six novellas, translated by Isabel Fargo Cole. Publication date: May 4. Right now, the book is available to order at 30% off.

I've read Stifter's novel The Bachelors and the novella Rock Crystal (included in Motley Stones). It's not hyperbole to say that I’ve never read anything remotely like Adalbert Stifter’s writing.

Related posts
A passage from The Bachelors : A passage from Rock Crystal

[What would my reading life be without NYRB? Greatly diminished.]

comments: 2

Sparky said...

Hadn't thought about Stifter in years. My High School German teacher used to make us do translations of excerpts from his novels.

Michael Leddy said...

Oh my! He’s not well known in English, so I hope this book is a big deal.