Monday, April 19, 2021

In search of lost hair

I was standing with my daughter kitty-corner across from a Carhartt store. We were selling candy and leading cheers to raise money for her high school. The year was 1980, years before she was born.

But then I realized that I was watching a videotape of my daughter and me, standing kitty-corner across from a Carhartt store, &c. It was still 1980, years before she was born. Gee, my hair looked so good on videotape. So I thought, “Maybe I should grow it longer.” And then I thought, “No, wait, that was forty-two years ago, when I had a full head of hair.”

Yes, forty-two. Arithmetic doesn’t always work properly in dreams.

Related reading
All OCA dream posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

Pete said...

Maybe you were dreaming in the future, of the past.

Michael Leddy said...

I wish it were clearer to me. : ) I think what lies behind this dream is a passage in Proust in which places from the narrator’s place make themselves felt in the present. So everything blurs.