Thursday, May 16, 2024

Weevil- and hyphen-free

[3 1/2″ × 1 1/2″. Click for a larger view.]

I found one of these slips in 2019, nestled amid (where else?) the sweet potatoes in Aldi. I found another earlier this week, sporting a new seal, the signature of a section manager instead of a director, and “Plant Industries Division,” plural. But the slip remains hyphen-free.

More about hyphens
Bad hyphens, unhelpful abbreviations : “Every generation hyphenates the way it wants to” : “Fellow-billionaires” : Got hyphens? : The Hammacher Schlemmer crazy making hyphen shortage problem : Living on hyphens : Mr. Hyphen and e-mail : Mr. Hyphen and Mr. Faulkner : One more from Mr. Hyphen : The opposite of user-friendly : Phrasal-adjective punctuation

[Lest you think I’m Mr. Hyphen: he’s the title character in Edward N. Teall’s Meet Mr. Hyphen (And Put Him in His Place) (1937).]

comments: 4

Anonymous said...

I’ve looked for “Meet Mr. Hyphen” for years with no luck. You’d think that with the attention it’s received from Mary Norris’s book, someone would have reprinted it by now.

As for the slip, would you replace “which was surveyed” with “that was surveyed”? The phrase seems restrictive to me.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, I’d prefer that.

I borrowed Teall’s book (interlibrary loan) a few years back after reading Mary Norris. I’m happy to see that It’s at archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/teall-meet-mr-hyphen/page/n4/mode/1up

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link!

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome. :)