Wednesday, May 1, 2024

The Record Collector, for sale

Los Angeles’s oldest record store, The Record Collector, is for sale: $4,995,000 for the building, the store’s half millon LPs not included.

Our fambly visited The Record Collector in 2016. My assessment, written then: “One curmudgeonly owner, one assistant, many, many LPs.” I bought two (Dizzy Gillespie and Oscar Peterson, Don Cherry and Steve Lacy), which the owner appeared to price out of his head.

You can read other customers’ reviews at Yelp.

comments: 7

ksh said...

https://youtu.be/bRL9yX07v3Y?si=s3ASKPIUS8rnhrlt

Three guys talking about their visit to The Record Collector.

Michael Leddy said...

Oh my. I just started watching, and I’m wondering if they’re going to mention Henry, whom I thought of as the mad scientist’s assistant, if such assistants were kindly and helpful. He and I talked about It Can’t Happen Here.

Aha — they just mentioned Henry.

ksh said...

This video is one of many from YouTube's Vinyl Community. Some better than others.

Michael Leddy said...

Here’s a video with Henry. I remember seeing those cylinders. Mind blown.

ksh said...

A great video of Henry. Thank you. I worry about Henry.

ksh said...

Very interesting. Thank you.

Michael Leddy said...

I know what you mean.