Thursday, May 16, 2024

John McWhorter’s apostrophes

John McWhorter has a new piece at The New York Times (gift link): “Lets Chill Out About Apostrophes.” Do you see what he did there?

McWhorter argues that most apostrophes do nothing to make meaning clearer. And that using them is tricky. And that Chaucer did fine without them. And: “I’m not suggesting we eliminate the apostrophe, but I would rather retain it for cases where there is a genuine possibility of ambiguity.” I can’t imagine having that question hang over every apostrophe. Writings difficult enough already.

Do you see what I did there?

I left a comment, beginning with McWhorter’s words:

“Their deployment is governed by some rather fine rules — is it ‘my uncle’s book’ or ‘my uncles’ book’? ‘It’s’ or ‘it’s’? — that take a bit of effort to master”: Are these rules really so fine? Are they really that difficult to master? Yes, language evolves, and we (unlike Chaucer) use apostrophes. When they’re needed and missing, their absence can be conspicuous. Getting them right can be one way of getting a reader to pay attention to what you’re saying, sans distraction.
I do agree with McWhorter on one point: no one should look down on someone who misuses or doesn’t use the apostrophe. But if McWhorter really wants to eliminate most apostrophes, he had better seek alternative publishers, no?

Related reading
All OCA apostrophe posts (Pinboard) : McWhorter on subject and object pronouns (Him and me disagree) : A page-ninety test

comments: 2

Daughter Number Three said...

I'd prefer spelling reform before dropping apostrophes.

I can see some agreement on certain apostrophes, sure - Farmers Market, Mothers Day, for example. Are those truly possessive, are they plural or singular, and aren't we better off without apostrophes in those cases? Maybe that has already been decided by the grammar and usage gods (I have decided!), but the examples you gave are better with apostrophes.

It's like adjectival hyphens: few people seem to get them right, but without them written meaning suffers.

Michael Leddy said...

With Mother’s Day, I know that the placement of the apostrophe has to do with honoring the one mother in a family. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked up “farmer[‘]s[‘] market.” I think the apostrophe-free version is winning.