Monday, December 19, 2022

Terry Hall (1959–2022)

Terry Hall, best known as the lead singer of The Specials, has died at the age of sixty-three. The Guardian has an obituary and a life in photographs.

Here’s one memorable Specials moment: the video for “Ghost Town.” The song was released as one side of a 12-inch 45. I still have my copy, bought in 1981 at a record store in Central Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

[The Specials, “Ghost Town” (Jerry Dammers). 2 Tone (1981).]

Here’s the extended version of the song that appeared on the 45.

*

December 27: The New York Times has an obituary.

comments: 5

ChasM said...

I did a double take at my feed... Prof Leddy posting spooky ska/dancehall! The Specials were special.
Terry Hall RIP.

Michael Leddy said...

I’m not sure how I caught on, but I was a big fan. The Specials and the (English) Beat remain two favorites of mine.

Robert Gable said...

Don't tell my wife but for Christmas, I bought her tickets to see the English Beat in Menlo Park next month. I always preferred the The Specials but hopefully it will be a good show.

Anonymous said...

i saw the special beat back in 1991 in Boston which had members from both the specials and the beat (aka as the english beat in the US) but alas no terry hall.

i have a poster and a pin from that show somewhere.

kirsten

ps i also saw prince withe sheila e way back when which always surprises people as i don't look like a prince fan!

Michael Leddy said...

Wow to both. A tweet mentions that Terry Hall was going to be joining them for upcoming shows.

By the way, I think that anyone listening and appreciating the music is what a fan looks like. : )