Sunday, December 11, 2022

I’m sorry too, ChatGPT

Elaine and I have been toying with ChatGPT. And it appears that the rules of engagement are tightening. A couple of days ago Elaine was a celebrated pianist who had performed with orchestras around the world. Hot damn! And I was a writer who had won the Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize. $100,000! But this morning,

I’m sorry, but I don’t have any information about [our names here]. As a large language model trained by OpenAI, my knowledge is limited to what I was trained on, and I don’t have the ability to browse the internet or access any additional information. I apologize if I cannot be of more help.
I don’t believe that ChatGPT means the end of high-school English. But it will certainly make life more difficult for uncrafty teachers. Something crafty students should understand is that teachers can enter the same prompts their students have entered. Plagiarism by way of ChatGPT will likely be hilariously detectable (I hope).

comments: 4

Elaine Fine said...

There goes my career as a solo pianist! It was nice while it lasted. Good thing we didn’t blow your poetry prize on a Tesla, right?

Michael Leddy said...

LOL!

J D Lowe said...

My conversation with that alien 'intelligence' was similar. The verdict for now: all hat and no cattle.

Michael Leddy said...

Jim, I was wondering why the apologetic language sounded familiar — I had read it in your blog post.

I suspect that there might be legal complications about having a service that creates faux biographies of real people. But I’m still demanding my $100,000 prize.