Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Raymond Briggs (1934–2022)

Writer and illustrator of The Snowman (1978), among many other books. I can also recommend Ethel & Ernest: A True Story (1999). The New York Times has an obituary.

My children always waited for the moment I would cry whenever we watched the animated adaptation of The Snowman.

comments: 4

Linda Sue said...

The first Raymond book I got for my little kid was "When The Wind
Blows" because I am that kind of terrible parent.

Michael Leddy said...

I had to look it up — yikes!

Tororo said...

I loved every Briggs book I read - not that many: When the wind blows, Ethel ans Ernest, Ug the Bogeyman - and there are so much I never encountered! By reading his biography, I just learned about The Tin-Pot Foreign General and the Iron Old Lady (this one never made its way to any French publisher), that seems so aptly connected to current events.

Michael Leddy said...

I’m planning a trip to the children’s section of my library soon. (And I remember that war.)