Friday, August 26, 2022

E. Bryant Crutchfield (1937–2022)

He invented the Trapper Keeper. The New York Times has an obituary.

Trapper Keepers were prohibited at my children’s schools, and we never knew why. One fambly member’s suggestion is that the authorities wanted to keep out a status symbol. It turns out that there’s a world of discourse about this question. A 2001 Washington Post column for young readers quotes teachers who say that Trapper Keepers are too large and lead to disorganization.

Here’s much more about this venerable school supply: The History of the Trapper Keeper (Mental Floss).

Teachers, take warning: the Times reports that Trapper Keepers are once again on the market.

comments: 5

Heber Taylor said...

Thanks for you help, Michael.

Geo-B said...

Same here. They were banned in my kids' school, but I could never figure out what they were. And nobody I asked knew. (Kind of reminds me: when I was in elementary school, every year they would have a push to warn us against blasting caps. They said if we ever saw a blasting cap, not to touch it, but to alert an adult. But, they never told us what they were , nor what they look like. To this day, I fear blasting caps, but I have no idea what they are, nor what they look like.

Stefan said...

Here's a good reason to keep the Trapper Keeper off your list of supplies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddik5xCkvoY

Michael Leddy said...

George, it looks like TNT to me, or at least TNT as it’s always depicted in cartoons. (Hmm.)

Stefan, I knew there had to be a better reason.

Michael Leddy said...

Oh — you’re welcome, Heber.