Saturday, January 1, 2022

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday  Saturday Stumper, by “Anna Stiga,” Stan Again, Stan Newman, the puzzle’s editor, is a good one. Not much trickiness, but a reasonable degree of difficulty (twenty minutes’ worth for me). Some clues I especially liked:

1-A, six letters, “Today, for the first time.” I hadn’t thought about how strange it looks.

12-D, nine letters, “Word from the Latin for ‘attendant.’” Huh.

18-A, eight letters, “Woman with a unisex nickname.” Okay, but if I were a woman and bore this cool name, I’d never use a nickname.

30-D, eight letters, “Surprising to see.” Surprising, to me anyway, to see this word in a puzzle.

32-D, nine letters, “Some show stoppers.” POWERCUTS?

48-D, five letters, “Zorro’s secret identity.” He makes the sign of the Z, as I know from a childhood spent in front of the television. But I did not know this answer. I made a good guess.

60-A, six letters, “Much of the OED.” Yes.

61-A, six letters, “More than ready.” Will I never get out of high school?

The two clues that gave me fits: 42-A, six letters, “Roof in your head.” and 47-D, five letters, “Kitchen covering.” The former taught me what a 42-A is. The latter is my favorite clue in the puzzle.

No spoilers; the answers are in the comments.

comments: 4

Michael Leddy said...

MMXXII. SATELLITE. SAMANTHA. ATYPICAL.

BULLETINS. (You have to think network television: “We interrupt,” &c.)

DIEGO. USAGES. STOKED.

PALATE. (I’ve always thought of it only in relation to the sense of taste. Really.)

SAUCE. (APRON was my first guess, then SARAN.)

joecab said...

For "Much of the 'OED'" I saw the quotes and put VOWELS :(

Michael Leddy said...

That’d be a great answer for that clue, truly Stumpery.

Michael Leddy said...

P.S.: I agree — the quotation marks make that clue appear tricky. I don’t think I’ve ever seen italics in a Stumper clue, and sometimes quotation marks blur the difference between a title and words as words. An example: “‘Don Juan’ for all time.” Is “Don Juan” a nickame, or the title of Byron’s poem? The answer was EER (ever contracted), so I think the clue must refer to the poem.