Monday, October 19, 2020

Jeffrey Toobin, exposed

From the New York Daily News:

Journalist Jeffrey Toobin has been suspended from the New Yorker after exposing himself during a Zoom call, according to a report. Sources told VICE that Toobin was suspended while an investigation is conducted. The incident reportedly occurred during a call between workers at the New Yorker and WNYC radio, in which the prolific writer allegedly showed his penis. “I made an embarrassingly stupid mistake, believing I was off-camera," Toobin, who’s 60, said in a statement to VICE. "I apologize to my wife, family, friends and co-workers.”
I was going to say that there’s always been something about Jeffrey Toobin that rubs me the wrong way, but I think I’ll just step back from that joke. Toobin has, though, always seemed to me a tad arrogant, more than a bit of a mansplainer in his CNN appearances. Now he really has some mansplaining to do. “I thought I was off-camera” is a pretty limp excuse.

*

It’s worse. I’ll add that I made that rub-the-wrong-way joke before the full extent of Toobin’s folly was known.

Afterthought: “Toobin’s folly” would make a nice euphemism for something or other.

A related post
How to improve writing (no. 80) (A Toobin sentence)

comments: 6

Linda Sue said...

haha, Limp excuse, haha.

Michael Leddy said...

I couldn’t resist. Which I guess is how Jeffrey Toobin got in trouble.

Daughter Number Three said...

Just read a list of some of his earlier harassment or worse offenses. How was he still employed and allowed to be around women?

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a good question. Can you link to the list?

Michael Leddy said...

The only thing in his Wikipedia article is an affair, a child, and a DNA test.

Michael Leddy said...

A Daily News article has some of it.