Monday, October 26, 2020

Alvin & Company

Gunther at Lexikaliker shared the sad news that Alvin & Company has closed after seventy years in business. You usually saw Alvin products in the art and drafting aisles of office supply stores, always with unglamorous but distinctive blue and white packaging. The company also distributed a wide variety of products from other manufacturers.

I have Alvin products stashed here and there — eraser shields, pencil extenders, a beautiful cork-backed stainless-steel ruler. I’m especially fond of my two Alvin Draf/Tec-Retrac mechanical pencils, 0.5 and 0.7mm.

As a lifelong resident in the world of “supplies,” I’ll miss Alvin & Company.

comments: 4

Anonymous said...

Alvin is sold at my campus bookstore. About a month ago they marked the products as discontinued and they have been marked down in price.

Perhaps time to pick up some drafting equipment. I may have to see if they have any mechanical pencils.

I was wondering why they were being discontinued. I almost have to avoid going into the campus bookstore due to all of the cool drafting and art supplies they have.

Kirsten

ps My favorite item are 3 x 5 cards and now Oxford sells them cut in half. Yeah, I know, I could cut them in half myself but the packages are so cute.

Michael Leddy said...

I, too, like those miniature cards.

If you’re lucky, they’ll have pencils and replacement erasers. :)

Berit said...

That is sad news.

Michael Leddy said...

I wonder if some of the products they distribute, such as, say, eraser shields, will ever show up in retail stores again.