Monday, October 5, 2020

No bottom

Jesus Mary and Joseph: Donald Trump* just removed his mask before entering the White House.

To paraphrase (once again) something Gertrude Stein may have said, There ain’t any bottom, there ain’t going to be any bottom, there never has been any bottom, that’s the bottom.

Watch a closeup and you can see gasping.

And then he came back out, no mask, to be filmed telling people not to be afraid of COVID-19. And that maybe he’s immune. Seems like a good time to revisit Nicholas Ray’s 1956 film Bigger Than Life.

comments: 4

The Crow said...

After watching that clip, I now pity, feel so sorry for this fool of all fools. I have asthma and if I were having that much difficulty breathing during an attack, I would have a rescue inhaler in both hands until the ambulance arrived.

Is this the face of vanity in the extreme or insanity or...what? I cannot understand his behavior, it is so foreign to everything I know.

Michael Leddy said...

I’d say both vanity and insanity. I was thinking this morning of James Cagney in White Heat as everything burns around him: “Made it, Ma! Top of the world!”

Anonymous said...

I wonder if some of this bravado is also male syndrome (sorry, Michael) of how the sick male must be brave and keep going as well as infecting others around him while the rest of us are falling by the wayside.

I did watch the video and definite gasping for air along with grasping of the rail while going up stairs.

And no sanitizer before touching his mask and wincing while putting it in his pocket.

The Boston Globe had a story today about grandfather who listened to T's no mask and died last week They received his ashes the day after T announced his diagnosis.

Kirsten

Michael Leddy said...

I can imagine someone enduring despite pain or sickness for some greater cause — one’s family, one’s community. (I think of John McCain as a POW.) But with Trump*, it’s all about not showing weakness (his father’s toxic lesson) and it’s all about himself. When he was asked in a recent interview about safety at his rallies, he said that he was far away from everyone. But what about them?! He just doesn’t care.