Friday, May 24, 2019

“The genre of the sentence”

Verlyn Klinkenborg:

I’m interested in the genre of the sentence,
The genre that’s always overlooked.

Several Short Sentences About Writing (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2012)
That’s more and more my interest in reading and writing. Artful sentences, please. Keep them coming.

Last week I was happy to see Several Short Sentences About Writing prominent in bookstores in Boston and New York. I suspect that the book is becoming a DIY manual for those who would write well. But does it get much classroom use? The book still does not appear in the listings of The Open Syllabus Project.

Related reading
All OCA Verlyn Klinkenborg posts (Pinboard)

[“Artful sentences”: from Virginia Tufte’s Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style (Graphics Press, 2006).]

comments: 2

Sean said...

Thanks for the tip.

Michael Leddy said...

I’m happy to recommend this book. It’s far removed from any textbook on writing I know.