Saturday, May 25, 2019

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Finishing today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, is “Quite an accomplishment” (1-Across, ten letters). I had to travel down to 55-Across, four letters, “Pisa/Mona Lisa rhymer (1934)” to find a way in. That answer gave me 27-Down, “Great examples,” and more answers began to fall into place.

A clue that tricked me up: 28-Down, five letters, “Tied up in the ring.” The clues I liked best: 1-Down, four letters, “Buff to an excessive extent.” 19-Across, three letters, “Cause of many hand movements: Abbr.” And 21-Across, six letters, “Last character seen in ‘Hamlet.’” All four answers look obvious once they’re in place, but getting them, for me, was 1-Across, ten letters.

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 1

Michael Leddy said...

NOMEANFEAT. COLE (as in Porter). ROLEMODELS. ROBED. (Not ROPED.) NERD. DST. (Daylight Saving Time.) SMALLT.