Saturday, September 8, 2018

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Is it in fact Saturday? Because today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Frank Longo, is not stumpy. Or would that be stumping? I don’t know. But it’s a highly solvable crossword today, Saturday.

Two clues that I especially like. 22-Across, five letters: “Straight to the left.” And 10-Down, seven letters, “Heavy wind.” No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 8

Michael Leddy said...

ORTHO. Left? Because it’s a prefix.

BASSSAX. As in Adrian Rollini.

joecab said...

That last one was my final entry. “Lord, what word has that many esses in it?!” 😄

Michael Leddy said...

GUSSSTS? :)

shallnot said...

How about: stumpifying?

Michael Leddy said...

I like that.

Elaine said...

I agree it was easier than usual. Last week's puzzle, in fact, I gave up on.
I'm not familiar with Milhouse and BART (a cartoon duo, apparently)...nor Zippy.

Now I'm waiting for someone at the NYT to wake up and realize that, yet again, the WordPlay column Comments are not appearing. Tinker, tinker, tinker, and things continue to fall apart.
Now, THAT is stumpifying!

Michael Leddy said...

Bart and Milhouse are from The Simpsons.

What most annoys me about the Times’s redesign: the main page loads in pieces, so I can’t type a section title and get to it right away. I have let them now.

Michael Leddy said...

Uh, know.