Saturday, October 8, 2016

Priorities!

More than four hundred faculty and staff have lost their jobs at my university as a result of Illinois’s manufactured budget-crisis. But there is still money for fireworks at the end of a football game. They ran just now for fifteen minutes or so, rattling windows at some distance from the stadium.

Priorities!

Related reading
All OCA Illinois budget crisis posts (Pinboard)

comments: 4

Pete said...

I suppose I shouldn't mention that the school is planning to spend another $132 million renovating the football stadium. Yes, I'm aware that operating budgets (instructors, etc.) and capital budgets (lavish football facilities that benefit a tiny fraction of the university community) are totally separate and can't be co-mingled, but it's never been explained to me exactly why this is the case.

Michael Leddy said...

That’s happening at UIUC. I’m writing about the smaller state school fifty minutes south. I made the decision when I began writing online not to mention my enployer’s name — sorry if I let you assume UIUC.

Slywy said...

When I interviewed at Purdue many years ago, the cab driver told me millions had been spent on sport facilities, which he didn't seem to appreciate.

On I90 headed from Illinois to Indiana, there are billboards proclaiming Indiana's balanced budget. Wonder who that's a slap at.

Michael Leddy said...

I guess there will always be money for Big Sport, at least until there isn’t.

From what I can find online, it appears that fireworks displays are not cheap. I have said my piece in an e-mail to appropriate parties and am waiting to see what might result.