Tuesday, January 27, 2015

“What I Forgot”

There is nothing wrong with description, watching people pass by, remembering how things used to be. I suppose it’s always like that. On the other hand,

        there is no

        of what
        is wrong with
        my hat


We say an expression misleads us, that we have been given “bad directions,” ending up in a tight corner of the cloakroom, a bright orange bowling ball now speeding toward us,

        Wang Wang Blues
        on the

        floormodel radio


Then the news is so matter-of-fact that there is no news, just years of patient inventory,

        bread milk and snow


        Snow what is

        y brillante

        now I
        have it

        hat hat

[I wrote “What I Forgot” sometime in the 1990s. The poem was published in a chapbook of my work, Inventories (Oasii Press, 1997). Now I know why the trio bread milk and snow has been running through my head. “Wang Wang Blues”: an early Ellington recording.]

comments: 4

Chris said...

"Wang Wang Blues" got a mention in the film version of The English Patient.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for that, Chris. I didn’t know until recently how popular that tune was.

Anonymous said...

Google came up blank for "Inventories (Oasii Press, 1997)." Ditto for Oasis. Where might one find such a Leddy chapbook?

Michael Leddy said...

This publication was part of the fugitive gift-economy of small-press poetry. No bar codes, no store shelves. I have a few copies still; send me your name and address and I’ll send you one. My e-mail address is in the sidebar under the photo.