Friday, October 11, 2024

ColorNoise

As I discovered this morning, the Background Sounds feature in macOS Sequoia shuts off for no apparent reason. At least I know it’s not just my problem.

An alternative: the free app ColorNoise: white, pink, and brown noise, available from the menu bar. But you won’t see that Neapolitan ice-cream icon in the menu bar: up there it’s just in black and white.

Note: this app works only from the menu bar. The icon in the dock won’t do a thing. So add the app to your login items and you can then run ColorNoise (and hide the dock icon) via the menu bar.

Thank you, Peter Hafner!

A related post
Noisy macOS, noisy iOS

4 comments:

  1. Michael, I used to see a message here on your comments page saying “please be relevant”. Now I don’t see any message from you at all.
    I thought about that because I’m not sure that this is really relevant, but it’s another example of a product that doesn’t always work as it should – – Silk almond milk. You said they have redesign the cap but it must not be universal yet:
    I bought a carton a couple days ago and it was so hard to open the plastic round cap, I ended up opening it the entirely old-fashioned way – – by opening the cardboard ends that are folded into a squinch (I think that’s the architectural term).

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. As you may know:
    Squinch: a small arch, corbeling, or the like, built across the interior angle between two walls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. I guess it’s not on all their cartons yet. I think I know the squinch (is that the real term?) from academic architecture.

    Google took away that message. I’d have to use a different comment form to get it back or figure out something else. You’re not the first person who’s noticed it’s gone.

    ReplyDelete

Play fair. Keep it clean. No potshots and no derailing. Thanks.

I moderate to keep out spam. Comments won’t appear at once, but they don’t disappear, so there’s no need to post a comment more than once.