Saturday, October 26, 2024

“Do not obey in advance”

It’s everywhere right now, and it’s been here before, but I want it here again. From Timothy Snyder’s On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century (New York: Tim Duggan Books, 2017):

Do not obey in advance.

Most of the power of authoritarianism is freely given. In times like these, individuals think ahead about what a more repressive government will want, and then offer themselves without being asked. A citizen who adapts in this way is teaching power what it can do.
You can find all twenty lessons in condensed form at Snyder’s Substack.

A handful of passages from On Tyranny
“Believe in truth” : Distinguishing truth from falsehood : “Do not obey in advance” : Nationalism, patriotism, and possible futures : “Nay, come, let’s go together”

comments: 6

Fresca said...

I went looking for the graphic ed of "On Tyranny" Illustrated by Nora Krug (who I like so much)--the publisher is sold out.
But you know where you can get it for half the cover price. Amazon, of course.

(Okay, but also on eBay, owned by a mix of corporatations and individuals...)

Michael Leddy said...

Gah! Or you could read the condensed points at his Substack and draw something of your own. :)

Michael Leddy said...

That is, to accompany his words.

Sean Crawford said...

I was just thinking of the 90's sf show Babylon-5. (The first-ever US 5-year TV novel) Besides trying to head off a Great War with aliens from outer space, the plot has Earthgov turning totalitarian to support the president. Recently on my blog (farm wife essay) I linked to a lady coming to the station to recruit help to catch "traitors" whom, to her, deserve their fate.
The lesson to me is that the Napoleons, and the would-be Napoleons, are born into every generation, therefore the good people must be eternally vigilant.

Fresca said...

Will you draw something, Michael? I'd love to see it.

Michael Leddy said...

Vigilant and not afraid.

Fresca, I can’t think of anything to illustrate it. Right now I think all I got is words. Maybe I can should a picture of $445?